Computational Research Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
Bldg 59, Rm:3058B
1 Cyclotron Road, ESnet/CRD
Berkeley, California, 94720
My research is focused on automating and improving usage of distributed networks and related facilities, to enable high-performance science applications like astrophysics
and bioinformatics. It intersects between machine learning, control and optimization and complex systems research.
Current focus includes:
- Real-time machine learning
- Decentralized machine learning for distributed agents or devices (network, edge)
- Intent-based networking
- Reinforcement and near real-time agent reaction for networks
Before moing to the US, I investigated scaling techniques on HPC grid, GPUs and (mostly) Cloud computing for
data-intensive simulations and science applications. I was involved with testing and developing parallelizing platforms for
e-science Grids at Rutherford Appleton Labs (Oxford), Amazon AWS and OpenStack.
- Received the DOE Early Career Award 2017-2022
- Royal Society Award for Researcher in Residence at Westminster (UK Parliament) 2016
- Fully Funded PhD award 2007-2010 (University of Sheffield, UK)
- FretWell Downing Prize across Engineering Faculty 2007 (University of Sheffield, UK)
- EU reviewer for Marie Sklodowska-Curie fellowships and Horizon2020 ICT calls
- Elected board member with the CoMSES Network for OpenABM models serving for developing open agent-based models and
- One of the developers of the FLAME framework which automatically parallelizes complex simulation models on Grids and GPUs (www.flame.ac.uk)
- ACM member and currently fellowship co-chair for N2Women supporting women in networking
Recent Professional Activities
- Organizing ICML workshop: deep and machine learning techniques for Safety Critical Systems (DISE)
- Program committee of SciPy 2018 (Scientific Computing with Python
2018). Submit papers:
- Invited Program Commitee: First International Workshop on Scalable Network Traffic Analytics (SNTA’18), held in conjunction with the 38th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS
2018), Vienna, Austria, July 2-5, 2018. (see for details http://icdcs2018.ocg.at/).
Submission deadline: March 28, 2018.